Calling All Coffee Superheroes
I am a coffee superhero. Mornings find me bleary-eyed, with a slumping spirit. But the first sip of coffee is transformative. Brightened eyes, tightened muscles, and a new-found vigor: that is the daily promise of coffee.
November 2008 Consumer Health Reports have weighed in on coffee’s health benefits.
- Decreased risk of type 2 diabetes
- Better gallbladder function---decreased risk of developing gallstones
- Prevention of Parkinson’s disease due to increased dopamine supply in the brain
And, we already know that coffee improves mood and enhances concentration and function. Got a test? Drink coffee. Feeling down? Drink coffee. Need a boost before kick-boxing? Drink coffee.
The standard researcher response to the question “Why does coffee prevent so many diseases and how does it improve health?” is “We’re not exactly sure, but we have some ideas.”
Some of the elements in coffee that improve health:
- Cholorogenic acids—an antioxidant that is found in the leaves and fruit of coffee. Slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream after a meal. Inhibits tumor activity and has antiviral properties.
- Boosted levels of enzymes that aid digestion
- Methylpyridinium—an anticancer compound found almost exclusively in coffee
Beyond the health benefits, coffee makes communities function better. It is the elixir of productivity and enthusiasm.
Be your own superhero. Drink coffee today!